Reliability concerns with the new Motor?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
Texas
Current Vehicles
4Runner, Raptor
Is anyone worried about giving up the old but reliable V8 that's been proven for the new twin turbo V6 / twin turbo v6 hybrid?

Last edited:

RichforTrd

Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
California
Current Vehicles
2005 tundra, 2017 highlander hybrid
Military
Army
I don’t think so, they use the same motor in the Lexus.. not sure about the hybrid but I have the highlander hybrid and we’re happy with it. Toyota would put it through its paces.

Okita415

Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
San Francisco
Current Vehicles
Tundra 07
I’m not concerned of the motor because it has been proven. I was surprised with a nickel battery.

Sandeman

Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
New York
I’m hoping it’s reliable, owned a bunch of Lexus/Yotas, all reliable minus a few with frame issues lol
Let’s hope it doesn’t have a dreaded issue like the Ford has with the cam phasers or carbon buildup

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
NM
Will the hybrid motor have the ability to drive with 100% electric power or is it only a power-assist feature?

WestHerrTundra

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2021
New york
Current Vehicles
2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime, 1971 Chevy Monte Carlo, 1979 Chevy Camaro, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
Will the hybrid motor have the ability to drive with 100% electric power or is it only a power-assist feature?
From everything I've heard from our rep and read, it looks like it can drive on electric up to 15mph and will kick on gas after that, unless it demands more power under those speeds. It won't be like a prime where you can toggle it, but more like fords powerboost where the computer determines what's best for mileage and power in situations.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
NM
From everything I've heard from our rep and read, it looks like it can drive on electric up to 15mph and will kick on gas after that, unless it demands more power under those speeds. It won't be like a prime where you can toggle it, but more like fords powerboost where the computer determines what's best for mileage and power in situations.
Interesting! That will definitely help fuel mileage and with towing because the initial power it takes to get started is where electric motors shine.