2022 Tundra First Impressions

Hemi455

Dec 14, 2021
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
So I was able to take out a 2022 Tundra Limited yesterday. Here are my first thoughts. I am looking to buy a Limited TRD or Platinum so this was not the model I am looking for but I will still give my opinions.

Exterior.
This truck looks good but this model looks a little plain.
The wheels are standard Toyota with car like tires ( not aggressive at all). Remember I am looking for more of an aggressive look.
The tailgate button is a good feature, the tailgate drops nicely. When closing it sounds tinny. Like an old truck. Would have thought it would have been much more solid in feel and sound.
This truck did not have running boards. From what I have been told there is only one option for running boards in Canada. The power running boards are not available even in the Platinum from what I have been told.

Interior
The softtex seats are nice and comfortable. They seem a little soft compared to full leather seats. The quality was good, not great. I was hoping for more.
The infotainment system is awesome. I love the 14" screen. I was thinking it might be overpowering but it is not. It looks great.
The heated seats are great, nice and warm, almost hot.
the heated steering wheel is not adequate at all. Even on a not very cold day it barely got lukewarm. That will need to be fixed.

Drive
The drive was great, I like the power. it was smooth and instant. There was no turbo lag that I could feel. You hit the throttle and it was there. Lots of passing power on the highway for sure.
The braking was good. Nice feel. good braking power.

Over all, I like the truck. I don't like how the Canadian models are being set up. Lack of options available for us. Not sure who is making the decisions but in my opinion they are a little off the mark. If it is true that the Platinum does not have power running boards on it and not available seems a little strange to me. I am waiting till I see one. The dealerships don't have a great deal of information. This is a little strange as well. I think the release of this truck could have been handled better.

I am still waiting on confirmation for some information. when I get it, I will update this thread.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
NM
Nice review, thank you for sharing your thoughts after a little seat time. That's really a bummer about the running boards. That's one of my favorite features on my truck. The whole family appreciates and it really makes it easy to get in and out. Hopefully, Toyota will make this option a lot more available to your market soon.

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
Texas
Current Vehicles
4Runner, Raptor
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts @Hemi455 - I'm hoping our local dealership has one available for test drives soon.

gricerocket

Jan 5, 2022
Visalia CA
Current Vehicles
2022 Toyota Tundra
Military
Marine Corps
Just purchased my '22 Tundra on 1/2. I noticed that the front wheel well is only that fiberglass reinforced felt? WTF??? The rear is covered with plastic...maybe an error from the factory. I am going to investigate this with my dealer pronto.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 20, 2021
NM
Just purchased my '22 Tundra on 1/2. I noticed that the front wheel well is only that fiberglass reinforced felt? WTF??? The rear is covered with plastic...maybe an error from the factory. I am going to investigate this with my dealer pronto.
That's strange! I thought the front and rear fenders were supposed to be the same?